The field of pharmacy is changing rapidly. Now more than ever, pharmacy professionals must stay current with advancements in research, technology and practice. Pharmacists meet this demand through completing required continuing education (CE) courses. CE requirements vary by state, by professional organizations and by hospital organizations.
Continuing professional development at the USC School of Pharmacy provides exceptional training for practicing pharmacists—as well as other health care professionals and scientists—through quality programs that are:
- Taught by leading clinicians and scientists
- Based in innovative research
- Current with new discoveries that correlate directly with patient care
The School offers partial- and multi-day programs. Recent topics have included asthma, diabetes, drug abuse, hypertension, psychiatric disorders, immunization training, sleep disorders, and pharmacoeconomics and outcomes research.
Future plans include an annual roster of travel programs, an expanded list of local and weekend programs at the USC Health Sciences Campus, an array of certificate programs, and web-based and home-study offerings that can be easily accessed.
20th Annual QSAD Centurion Winter Retreat: A Journey through the Desert on Highway SB 493
- January 23 – 25, 2015
- Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa, Palm Springs
- Details to come on this 8-hour continuing pharmacy education program focusing on Senate Bill 493 and its impact on the profession and healthcare.
- Program information and registration, contact Cheryl Stanovich at 323.442.1738 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hawaii Summer Conference 2015
- August 3 – 7, 2015
- Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii
- Participants may earn up to 21 hours of CE during, courses are scheduled to maximize free time on the island.
- Program focus to include psychiatric medications (hypnotics, psychiatric medications for young people), infectious disease update (Ebola, new drugs for bad bugs, new vaccines), cardiology topics (anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation, news in cholesterol management, QT prolongation, congestive heart failure).
- For information, email@example.com or 323.442.2403.
Optimizing Medication Safety and Healthcare Quality
To make lifelong learning opportunities available to practicing pharmacists, the School of Pharmacy is developing a slate of online programs. These programs will be offered as individual courses or as part of certificates. Please check the site often for new availabilities.
This ACPE-accredited continuing pharmacy education program in International Travel Medicine has been designed to assist pharmacists in expanding their knowledge and skills related to improving care provided to patients traveling internationally. The pharmacist is in a unique position to help patients traveling abroad to fully prepare them by recommending appropriate immunizations, medications, and over the counter products, as well as to provide them with travel advice.
Hybrid Programs (including live and web-based elements)
Currently, the School of Pharmacy is developing a slate of new hybrid programs which will be posted later this year.
The Office of Continuing Professional Development is available to collaborate with organizations seeking support in developing, managing or accrediting continuing pharmacy education programs. We have worked with continuing medical education providers, content developers and partners in industry, assisting in development and delivery of a variety of programs.
The USC School of Pharmacy is approved by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmacy professional development, as well as certificate programs. The School is a pioneer in continuing pharmacy education—approved as one of the first 10 such providers in the nation by ACPE.
Office of Continuing Professional Development
School of Pharmacy
University of Southern California
1985 Zonal Avenue, PSC 200
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9121
Julie Dopheide, PharmD, Director of Continuing Professional Development
(323) 442-3600 (fax)