The University of Southern California (USC) School of Pharmacy Comprehensive Medication Management (CMM)-based APP certification program prepares pharmacists to optimize treatment plans for complex patients with poor or fragile health who are at high-risk for medication-related problems.
In addition to being fully compliant with California Board of Pharmacy-approved criteria for APP certification (see http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/app_app_pkt.pdf for more details), the USC School of Pharmacy program is distinct in that APP is taught within the standards of Comprehensive Medication Management, which has been recognized by the state of California and nationally by CMS as a “breakthrough innovation” for significantly improving patient experience, health outcomes, and cost savings. As efforts to spread awareness and adoption of sustainable CMM services locally and nationally progress, you can be at the forefront by attending this program. To learn more about how the USC School of Pharmacy is providing CMM services locally, please click here.
Credit: Earn 28 hours of continuing education credit, including 20 hours of web-based self-study and 8 hours of live classroom study.
(Dates for 2020 will be available late fall)
- Fulfills the certification requirement for advanced practice pharmacist licensure – Assures that participants are able to perform patient assessment; order and interpret drug therapy-related tests; refer patients to other healthcare providers; participate in the evaluation and management of disease and health conditions in collaboration with other healthcare providers; initiate, adjust and discontinue drug therapy.
- 20 hours web-based self-study modules including current practice guidelines/evidence, instructional videos taught by experienced faculty and clinicians, and useful tools and resources.
- Training is based on over 30 years of CMM practice experience in multiple healthcare settings serving commercially insured, senior, underserved / safety net, and Veteran populations and health systems.
- 8 hours live training will be provided at the USC School of Pharmacy with a heavy emphasis on application, patient evaluation/interaction, and final competency assessment.
- Multiple common chronic conditions will be used to teach APP application including:
|Topic / Disease State||Instructor|
|Diabetes, dyslipidemia, and hypertension||Michelle Chu, PharmD, CDE, BCACP
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacy
USC School of Pharmacy
|Depression, Motivational Interviewing
||Julie Dopheide, PharmD, BCPP
Professor of Clinical Pharmacy, Psychiatry and the Behavioral Sciences
USC School of Pharmacy and Keck School of Medicine
Los Angeles, CA
|Comprehensive Medication Management
||Steven Chen, PharmD, FCSHP, FASHP, FNAP
Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
William A. Heeres and Josephine A. Heeres Chair in Community Pharmacy
USC School of Pharmacy
|Asthma and COPD||
Katherine Johnson, PharmD
- Other unique features include instruction (on-line and live) on motivational interviewing, management of complex patients, and four OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) stations including one where each participant will provide CMM for a standardized patient (professionally-trained patient actor)
- Participants successfully completing the program will receive a USC School of Pharmacy CMM certificate that can be used to document advanced practice training.
For a complete list of objectives click here.
Activity Type: Practice-based
Activity Fee: $1,000 general tuition / $800 for USC School of Pharmacy alumni and preceptors with discount code. (For discount code, please email email@example.com.)
More information: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or at 323.442.2403