Application Guidelines for International Students

For updated information on fall 2021 registration and international traveling during COVID-19, please visit the USC Office of International Services News and Updates page.

International students follow the same application steps as all other applicants applying to the PharmD program. We are familiar with the educational systems of most countries and will consider your application within the context of your educational environment. For specific Application Requirements, click here.

Application and Eligibility Requirements

A U.S. Bachelor’s or international Bachelor’s equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s completed prior to entrance into the USC PharmD program is required.

All pre-pharmacy courses must be completed by the end of the spring term of your entering year. Pre-pharmacy requirements in the following areas must be repeated if they were taken before fall 2013 for fall 2022 application: human physiology, microbiology, biochemistry and organic chemistry. It is recommended that all prerequisites are completed at a four-year college/university in the U.S. Biochemistry MUST be completed at a four-year college/university at upper division (UD) level.

How to Apply Checklist

Like many other leading schools of pharmacy, the USC School of Pharmacy uses the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS), which allows prospective students to complete one application that may be submitted to multiple schools. There will be no separate USC supplemental Application. USC questions and pre-reqs will be incorporated in the PharmCAS application.

On the PharmCAS application, please write your name as it appears on your passport. If the name on your academic record is different from that on your passport, enter the name from your academic record in the “Alternate Name” section. All international applicants must provide a permanent, physical mailing address (that is not a post office box).

For more information on how to apply and a complete check list, click here.

Academic Records

International applicants must provide official copies of academic records (translated into English, if received in a foreign language) from all colleges (after high school) and universities attended.

Applicants should:

  • Have all academics records sent directly from the schools (whenever possible) to PharmCAS.
  • Submit all academic records accompanied by an official World Education Services (WES) evaluation directly to PharmCAS.
  • If you have not completed your bachelor’s degree at the time of application, you will need to submit an International Education Research Foundation (IERF) evaluation directly to the University of Southern California after you complete your degree.
  • Submit TOEFL scores directly to USC when applying to PharmCAS.
  • Submit any additional documents as requested by PharmCAS and/or the USC School of Pharmacy. It would be very helpful if you could send us official course descriptions of your courses from your school. This would speed up our evaluation of your application.

Please note: applicants with study-abroad programs may submit transcripts from the institution where international coursework was completed if those courses are listed with letter grades.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

International students must submit TOEFL scores directly to USC when applying to PharmCAS. For more information on USC’s English-language proficiency requirements, click here.

Documentation of Financial Support

The U.S. government requires all international students to provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses for the first academic year of study as determined by the Financial Aid Office. If you are admitted to our program, you will receive a letter of admission from USC Office of Graduate Admission. Please submit your financial documents by following the instructions in the letter.

Estimated Cost of Attendance

The estimated cost of attendance is based on the average expenses for a full-time graduate student (taking 15-18 units per semester) living in university housing.

Please note: If you have dependents who will apply for F-2/J-2 visas, you must be able to provide an additional $7,200/year for your spouse and $3,600/year for each child.

Financial Aid & Merit Scholarships

Although you will not qualify for need-based financial aid if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for merit scholarships within the school.

Please note: You will not be able to pay for the full amount of your educational expenses by working while you are in the United States.

As an international student, you may apply for private financing, along with a credit-worthy U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident as co-borrower. The loans must be repaid with interest. These loans are unsecured educational loans made by private financial institutions such as banks or credit unions.

Office of International Services

The Office of International Service (OIS) assists international students attending USC, providing workshops and events to help you acclimate to campus life and American culture. For more information, please visit the OIS website at