Access to lab resources/services is contingent upon users’ compliance with lab operational procedures described under Lab Policies and agreement to pay charges incurred. Fees listed on this site are in effect as of August 1, 2021.
All new users are REQUIRED to contact Dr. Junji Watanabe to schedule training prior to using equipment. Access to TRLab is granted only after the user passes equipment assessment by TRLab to demonstrate the ability to properly operate the instrument without assistance. Users are strongly advised to not set up experiments and reserve time to use the instrument prior to training or getting access to the lab; any loss of time, consumables, and/or experimental data due to the user not following the policies of TRLab is entirely the responsibility of the user.
Core Lab Policies
In addition to the general laboratory rules set by USC, all TRLab users are required to follow the following procedures that govern the operation of the lab and use of lab resources.
- TRLab operational hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- TRLab is a Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) facility. Individual users are required to be properly trained and certified for BSL-2 lab practices by USC Environmental Health & Safety and their respective labs.
- Users are mandated to bring their own personal protective equipment (e.g. lab coats) and wear them at all times in the TRLab.
- Any users who do not comply with safe practices may be asked to leave the facility, followed by written notification to the user, PI, and research office detailing non-compliance. Repeat non-compliance may lead to suspension of user access to TRLab.
- Prior to accessing TRLab, the user must be included on their respective PI’s Biohazard Use Authorization (BUA) and/or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocols.
- Use of instruments is scheduled and charged through the USC Financial and Business Services (FBS) system. All USC users are required to access the USC FBS scheduling system.
For USC Users
- If you have not used FBS in the past, your PI will need to set you up as a registered user under his/her account. Detailed instructions are available here.
- If you have previously used FBS and are having problems with accessing FBS, help is available from USC’s FBS Website.
- If you are having any of the above issues and need to urgently make a reservation, please contact Dr. Junji Watanabe for assistance.
For Users Outside of USC (non-USC)
Please contact Dr. Junji Watanabe for reservation and questions.
- All new users need to submit a service request form to help us better understand their experimental needs. The form may be completed and submitted here.
- TRLab will provide any necessary training for TRLab access and new equipment.
- Training by any user without permission is prohibited.
- USC ID is required to access the TRLab card access system. Access to TRLab is granted only after the user has demonstrated the ability to properly operate the instrument without assistance. Users are strongly advised to not set up experiments and reserve time to use the instrument prior to training or getting access to the lab; any loss of time, consumables, and/or experimental data due to the user not following policies of TRLab is entirely the responsibility of the user.
- Sharing USC ID is prohibited.
- Escorting unauthorized personnel without permission is prohibited.
- Reservations for 8 hours or longer must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
- Reservations for individual instrument usage must be made in advance. Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 2 hours before the reservation in order to avoid penalty fees.
- A no-show without cancellation will be charged for the time scheduled. Repeat no-shows may lead to the suspension of a user’s ability to make future reservations.
- If users are found operating instruments without a reservation, the PI(s) will be notified and their accounts will be charged accordingly. Repeat offenses may lead to suspension of future access of TRLab.
- It is the user’s responsibility to use lab resources in a responsible manner. Users should contact Dr. Junji Watanabe if technical assistance is needed. Damage from misuse will result in charges for repair costs.
- It is the user’s responsibility to save their data generated from instrument use. Any data saved on the hard drives may be deleted by the director as necessary to ensure adequate space for the computer to run properly. Please contact Dr. Junji Watanabe for reservations and questions.
Fee rates are categorized based on members of: 1) USC School of Pharmacy (SOP), 2) non-SOP USC (USC) and 3) outside of USC campus (external).
- Daily Rate: 8 hours or more = 8 hours, except NMR which consider 5 hours or more = 5 hours.
- 100-Hour Annual Cap (for School of Pharmacy PIs only): Discounted fee will be applied as total use of any one instrument exceeding 100 hours. The discounted rates are categorized as descried below
- Up to 8 hours/day (5 hours/day for NMR) will be accumulated for cap.
- Accumulation of use hours starts on July 1st and ends June 30th in each fiscal year.
- No carry-over of use hours into the following fiscal year.
- PI is required to report to the lab director to receive the cap charge.
- The cap cannot be shared with any collaborators.
- When total use of any one instrument exceeds 100 hours by a single PI and his/her research staff members & students, the fee for use for that particular instrument will be reduced by 50%.
The following instruments are excluded from the cap policy:
These cost reductions exclude contract work.
- Free 1 hour consultation and training for all new users on first use of equipment in TRLab; $50/hour consultation fee thereafter.