Doctor of Pharmacy/Doctor of Philosophy (PharmD/PhD)
USC offers a PharmD/PhD joint-degree program administered by the School of Pharmacy. This program integrates the professional pharmacy school curriculum with graduate curricula in the sciences (molecular pharmacology and toxicology; pharmaceutical economics and policy; pharmaceutical sciences) to develop an accelerated course of study leading to both the PharmD and PhD degrees. The program prepares clinical scientists for careers in academia, government and industrial settings.
Admission Requirements and Application Process
Students interested in the joint PharmD/PhD degree must be accepted by both programs. Students will not be given special consideration for admission to either program because they are applying for the joint degree.
Requirements for admission include:
- a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- a minimum GRE score of 1000
Students may apply to the joint PharmD/PhD degree program in two ways:
- Submit applications to both programs simultaneously.
- Identify yourself on both applications as a potential joint-degree student.
- If you are admitted to both programs, you will be offered admission to the PharmD and contingent admission to the PhD program, pending your passage of all courses in the first year of the PharmD program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- If you are accepted by only one program, you may choose to attend that program, but will not be eligible for the joint degree.
Apply for the joint degree after acceptance to PharmD
- You may instead submit an application to one of the School of Pharmacy’s PhD programs during your first two years of enrollment in the PharmD, prior to the published application deadline for the PhD. program you have selected.
- If you are admitted to the PhD program, you will be offered admission to the joint degree if you pass all courses in your first year of the PharmD program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
For more information, please contact the Office of Graduate Affairs at (323) 442-1474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.